May 27, 2009

Great News from Bayshore!

Well, that was a much shorter recovery than I had anticipated. I'm not saying I'm back to 40+ mpw with 2 days of speedwork, but I don't feel a single ache in my legs! Yay! And it has only been 4 days. I felt so good even yesterday that I did a 3.4 mile easy run on an unpaved Rails to Trails trail. Easy pace and forgiving surface - pancake flat. Once I started running, I felt a few aches exert themselves, but they faded away by the end of the run. There was no lingering pain after the run, and today I still feel awesome. Since I'm still not back to my normal mileage, I started back up with cross-training yesterday. Since a 3.4 miler was not enough cardio, I did 45 minutes on the stationary bike. Today I didn't run at all but did 40 minutes on the elliptical and another 10 minutes on the rower. I also restarted strength training after a week off. Fortunately I did not get sore from that either! I really lucked out with this recovery thing! Tomorrow I'll try 4-5 easy miles.

I got some more good news today. When I first checked the standings after my marathon on Saturday, I was 6th in my age group. Age group awards went 5 deep. Darn!! Just missed it! But a few days later I checked the results again and I had miraculously moved up to 5! Then I realized that the second place overall female was in my age group. That bumped her out of age group awards and put me in 5th! I emailed the organizers right away and asked if I had earned an award. They said yes and will be mailing the award in a few days. How cool is that!? An age group award in my first marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Cats are like greatness: Some people are born into cat-loving families, some achieve cats, and some have cats thrust upon them." -William H. A. Carr

red's 2011 race schedule