July 21, 2009

The dangers of trail running become painfully real - ouch!

Wiped out for the first time today. I kept saying my time was coming. Today was it. Clipped a root with my toe and hit the ground hard on the outside of my left thigh and back of my left shoulder. Those are good, padded places to land if you're going down, I guess. Got a nice abrasion and puffy bruise on my thigh about 2 inches in diameter. Doesn't hurt yet - it is still a little numb. Guess I better get some ice on it as soon as I shower all the dirt off my body.

It's funny that the first thing I was concerned about after picking myself off the ground was not the state of my bones, ligaments and tendons. It was getting away from the darned mosquitoes that started to swarm as soon as I stopped (suddenly). The fact that I was able to start running away from the mosquitoes was a good sign, I guess.

I was quite a bit shaken up. It was a hard fall. I started thinking about what would happen if I wasn't able to run away from those mosquitoes. I was probably a mile in by that point. Ah, well, we can't live our lives in fear, can we? Otherwise, we'd all just sit at home all day watching T.V. and begin looking like the average obese American. I WILL NOT EVER become like that. I'll take my chances with the roots and rocks and make sure my husband knows where I am.

Other than the fall, it was a great run! :-)

Though I'm still a bit shaken up.

Trail running rocks. Literally and figuratively.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Cats are like greatness: Some people are born into cat-loving families, some achieve cats, and some have cats thrust upon them." -William H. A. Carr

red's 2011 race schedule