February 17, 2009

Uncertainty Sucks

My heel is feeling really good lately. No more tenderness, just a tingly feeling every once in a while. I'm currently on week 3 of "no running". Since the heel is feeling much better, I'm going to give it several more days and then try walking briskly on Sunday and see how that feels. If all goes well during the walk, I may try a slow run for a few miles. I'm very nervous about it. If it starts hurting again, that means I need a lot more time off. There's little chance I'll be able to get myself ready for Bayshore on May 23rd. I suppose I shouldn't let what *might* happen bother me, but I'm only human. I can't help it.

I was realizing the other day that the uncertainty about this injury is the worst part about it. If I knew I couldn't do the marathon, I could deal with it and move on. I could start planning for my "second first" marathon. If I knew I only needed a few weeks off and I'd be fine, then I could hold onto my excitement for my first marathon. Not knowing is just plain frustrating and emotionally wearing. Which will it be?

I'm about 97% recovered from my GI bug. :-) I've never had an illness last that long! It took a full week!

I went to the gym today and did 45 minutes on the upright stationary bike (15 minutes steady pace and 30 minutes "random" intervals). It was a great workout! Then I hopped on the elliptical again. The jury's still out on that machine. Not sure how much I like it. I'm trying to talk myself into hitting the pool. My poor excuses for not swimming are a lack of a one piece suit and no goggles. That wouldn't stop many people but I am cheap! I don't like spending money on "stuff" unless it is running or camping"stuff" and even then I cringe at the checkout counter. :)

Anyway, after my cardio I did a great core workout (I was able to do the Superman today! Yay! Tummy feels MUCH better!) and upper body weight training. I also got a good eye muscle workout inadvertently. There was a group of young, skinny teenage boys in the free weight room who didn't have a clue what they were doing. They consistenly grabbed weights that were WAY too heavy for them and then struggled to do even a handful of reps. Hopefully they didn't hurt themselves with their nonexistent form. My eyes practically rolled out of my head. haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Cats are like greatness: Some people are born into cat-loving families, some achieve cats, and some have cats thrust upon them." -William H. A. Carr

red's 2011 race schedule