February 22, 2009

You Can't Keep a Good Redhead Down for Long!

Yes, I know I said I wouldn't run until after I saw the doc on Tuesday. Yes, I know I took a silly, unnecessary risk, but I couldn't help it!! My original plan was to take 2-3 weeks off and slowly ease back into running. Today was exactly 3 weeks since Black Sunday. I'd been feeling great for over a week, so I just DID IT!

I did it smartly though. I hopped on the treadmill and walked first, slowly picking up the pace until I was walking very briskly. I did this for one mile - just under 15 minutes. Then I stopped, carefully stretched my calves, achilles and shins for a few minutes before setting the treadmill for a nice, easy 9:15 min/mile pace and running a little less than 3 miles - PAIN FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOO!!!

Well, not exactly totally pain free. Pain free in my heel, but I struggled with a side stitch the entire time! Side stitches are my nemesis. As I've put in more miles, I experience them less and less, but they still come back to haunt me sometimes. I sure hope I'm not starting from scratch on the side stitch front. I have learned to keep the pain at bay somewhat by slowly but forcefully exhaling - that almost always does the trick - except today, of course. Grrrrr....

Get this... about a mile into the run, my finger just barely brushed the side of the mill and I got a mild electric shock. No big deal - this happens all the time when I run on the treadmill in the winter. However, this one time, this little shock shut down the damn machine! The screen went blank suddenly and I thought to myself, "oh crap, here it comes," and sure enough, the next second it pitched me forward and I just stopped myself from falling. Grrrrr... My first day back!! Evil machine.

After my exultant run, which made me so emotional that I almost cried right there on the treadmill, I hopped on the bike to get another 20 minutes of cardio in. Then I did some lower body strength training. I refueled after my workout at my husband's restaurant which is literally in the back of the gym's parking lot! Ham and turkey sub with cheese and lots of mayo. Mmmm...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Cats are like greatness: Some people are born into cat-loving families, some achieve cats, and some have cats thrust upon them." -William H. A. Carr

red's 2011 race schedule